Kraken Filter Receives NJCAT Verification
HOW DID THE KRAKEN PERFORM?
The Kraken membrane filter is a ‘verified’ success. This stormwater system is the newest technology to join the Bio Clean line of products and it is already getting a lot of recognition.
In January 2016, the system received written verification from NJCAT and the report posted on their website. In addition, the system received approval by NJDEP just a few weeks later. Overall sediment removal efficiency was 89% and as high as 98% by the end of testing.
“The system out-performed all of our expectations and its removal efficiency kept improving over the 33 test runs. We saw no breakthrough and the system never showed any signs of clogging. It appeared we could have kept going indefinitely. This means not only will the system meet performance standards, but it will vastly reduce the maintenance requirements to end users when compared to other available technology”, said Zachariha Kent of Bio Clean, inventor of the system.¹
- Average TSS Removal Efficiency of 89% and as high as 98%
- No clogging or loss of flow capacity after 434lbs. of sediment loading
- Testing was done using a TSS particle size distribution with a d50 of 52 microns
View Two Certificates of Approvals:
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN
FOR THE STORMWATER INDUSTRY?
The Kraken® Filter provides higher treatment flow rates in a smaller footprint. Each 7.5 inch diameter filter cartridge has 170 sq. ft. of media surface area. “With this much surface we can operate the system at a loading rate of only 0.05 gpm/sq. ft. of media surface area.”
“What does this mean? It means that we created a system that isn’t going to clog up after only 12 months of use. At this minimal loading rate, the cartridges could last for years before they need to be cleaned. In addition, the Kraken® Filter uses passive backwash technology that allows the filters to clean themselves after each storm – further increasing longevity. Lastly, these filters are washable and reusable. So when the time comes, the customer gets a system that is easy and inexpensive to maintain. It’s truly a breakthrough in stormwater filtration”, states Zachariha Kent.
- No granular media to replace
- Higher treatment flow rates with minimal footprint
- Lower cost than any other treatment system, per CFS treated
- Membrane filter cartridges are washable and reusable
- Built-in pre-treatment chamber captures trash, sediments, debris and hydrocarbons
- Filter cartridges dry out between storm events to prevent biofilm growth which can cause clogging and other performance issues
The Kraken® Filter’s low loading rate successfully overcomes high maintenance requirements and frequent clogging issues often found in other filter systems advertising high loading rates.